Learn About Great
Learn About the
Learn About the
Adolescence is the period of developmental transition between childhood and adulthood. It involves changes in personality, as well as in physical, intellectual and social development. During this time of change, teens are faced with many issues and decisions.
- Girls are often left out of the highest expectations and opportunities for leadership in math, science, technology, academic and artistic achievement.
- Girls are smoking more, suffer depression twice as frequently as boys, and represent a disproportionate percent of rape victims and other forms of violence.
- Three out of every four child victims and survivors of violence are girls. One in every three to four girls are sexually victimized by the time they are 18 or seniors in high school.
- The leading causes of premature death among women – including cancer, heart disease and AIDS – are all associated with behaviors that often begin during adolescence.
- Girls and women account for nine out of ten cases of eating disorders, which have the highest mortality rate of all psychiatric disorders.
http://www.girlsinc-monroe.org/pages/why_girls_only (From The National Council for Research on Women
Benefits of Our Self Awareness Program
- Safe and trusting relationships
- Tools to become effective leaders
- Less distractions
- Honor girls creativity
- Help girls choose to stop negative behaviors (if any)
- Provide creative alternative to express self (art, music, etc..)
- Focus on harm reduction
- Refer to outside services if needed
“Our group can improve student academic success”
- Goal setting and progress monitoring
- Building a community of caring, support, and encouragement
- Cognitive and memory skills
- Handling pressure and anxiety